Saturday, August 15, 2009

Some get it


And many spread their cloaks on the road, and others spread leafy branches that they had cut from the fields. And those who went before and those who followed were shouting, “Hosanna! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!" Mark 11:8-9

I am sometimes not patient with other people. Now, I try very hard but I can eventually lose my patience when I had tried to explain something many, many times and people still don't get it. I also know there are some people who don't get my jokes, or they are oblivious to the signs and signals I direct their way. Despite my own impatience with others, it is true that we all see things very differently. And when we are distracted for whatever reason -worry, hurt, guilt, other distractions- we often miss things that are right before our eyes. It is easy for us to say "of course people got Jesus and responded to him". "Everyone should have understood what God was doing!" But the truth is, we sometimes can miss completely when God has moved in our lives. From the distance of history and the gift of the experiences of others, we can claim a knowledge of the living Jesus. And we also can, in our own unique ways, be completely ignorant of God's blessings standing right in front of us. Thank God, that we are loving by a Creator who is infinitely patient with us.
Thank God it is not up us and our general lack of patience with others.

May today have been a day that we can claim at least one moment, one insight into the presence of God. May we have the opportunity to shout “Hosanna! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!" For God indeed is in the midst of us, despite how often we miss the loving presence of the living God.

No comments: