Friday, August 21, 2009

What we give


“Truly, I say to you, this poor widow has put in more than all those who are contributing to the offering box. For they all contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty has put in everything she had, all she had to live on.” Mark 12:43-44

Fridays are my days off and I have spent years trying to figure how best to spent them. Some days I do chores, and then I find myself wishing I had rested more. The next day off I travel or do something adventurous, and then the chores pile up and I am less rested than ever. We have what we have. Some of us are wealthy in time and relations. Others are rich in imagination and creativity. Some of us are rich in generosity, even if it is a cold drink to a stranger. On my day off, I have to stop and think about the riches I have been afforded by God - a family, a day off, and the ability to make choices. I am so blessed to live a life where I can determine how a day goes. Most people are ordered by others and have no rest time. So my frustration is a sign of my wealth and my blessings.

Jesus reminds us, as he points out the giving of the poor widow, that her generosity eclipses all the money that the big spenders throw in. She knows how blessed she is despite her circumstances. She has eyes to see God's love all around her despite the limitations of poverty and loneliness. Love has invaded her heart, God's love has made her rich while so many others are poor.

This day off, I want to chose to celebrate and be thankful for all the love that is showered upon me. I am rich in relationships, comfortable in living, wealthy in the love of God. Whatever I chose to do today, I want to live like the widow, who knows how blessed she is, despite the challenges she might face.

No comments: