Thursday, May 6, 2010

Being Anxious


And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Matthew 6:27-30

I generally don't lose sleep many nights worrying and being anxious. I am normally pretty calm and laid back, or at least for the most part. I am likely to be impatient - that is true - wishing future things were more clear and more certain. And when it come to my children and my family, well then, I have to admit to worrying and being anxious for them. Not that I don't trust them to thrive, and not that I don't trust God, but rather, I think parents are hardwired to worry about their children. There is a chemical, biological switch that goes off when we become parents, and especially when we become mothers - we instantaneously produce worry.

I think often of this passage this time of year. I am always amazed at how glorious and beautiful the spring blossoms and buds are - and how quickly they fade away. When God incarnate says to us that God clothes them and will take care of all our needs - it is a stunningly powerful promise of love. Living into that trust in God's all-pervading love for us is harder, especially when there are young ones and family to consider. And yet, God promises that richness of care, a care even better than the best earthly parent can deliver.

So today, I will continue to pray for release from all worry. Today I will cast all my cares on the one who cares for us completely. It will be a moment by moment exercise and so I have included a prayer for today.

Dear Creating God,
source of all beauty and light
pour your peace in my trembling heart;
wipe the fear from my eyes,
remove the anxious wringing from my hands,
and make my body and soul
an instrument of your peace.
Amen

No comments: