Friday, May 14, 2010

My Dad


“Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock." Matthew 7:24-25

Today would have been my Dad's 93rd birthday and tomorrow we celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary. We will be taking off very soon for an over night trip but I want to take a few moments to give thanks to God for the gift of a rock solid and faithful father. He was strong in the face of adversity, tender in times of grief, able to reach hand across sharp divides in turbulent times. Everything I know about ministry came from him, despite what my seminary education might indicate. He was a pastor and a father, a friend and a dreamer. He wasn't perfect, of course and he was able to admit to his flaws, most of the time. And he was a tireless servant of the community, where ever he found himself. When he retired he was chaplain of the fire department, the police department, the hospital auxiliary and disaster chairperson for the local red cross. When he died he was serving as supply for several different churches as well as running a conference on healing.

Today, I pray that my life might be an offering to God and a tribute to my father and all those saints who have gone before. He was willing to give his life in God's service and in service of others. I pray that I can do likewise.

"On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand, all other ground is sinking sand."

No comments: