Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Never Alone


While he was still speaking to the people, behold, his mother and his brothers stood outside, asking to speak to him. But he replied to the man who told him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” And stretching out his hand toward his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers! For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.” Matthew 12:47-50

Never Alone


My face a shade paler dark eyes
smiling across generations suffering
the same misunderstanding displacement
families rent asunder.

I stumbled in alone voices raised eyes
downcast and humble proud people
fierce warriors women laughing tears
piercing cries taking the night.

Our shame isolation language lost regalia
long hair fallen by the wayside family
scattered and separated walking concrete
steel alone in the world.

Creator reached down wind reminding
ancestors calling never alone never
family-less, eyes and hands of brother
sister found in those who walk pray
this sacred circle this holy red
road of love and service.

No comments: