Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Treasures in Heaven


“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21

Yesertday I was unable to carve out time to write this blog. Generally, I find time somewhere in my day as it is part of my own spiritual disciple - to study the scriptures appointed for the day and to reflect seriously on them and how they intersect with my own life. Yesterday, I had a funeral and it was my first funeral here in Harrison. The dear woman who passed had lost her husband, "her sweetheart" she called him, and she admitted to everyone she had a broken heart. Her body was taken by cancer but her heart had already gone with her husband in late December.

I had to think yesterday about the treasures I have in heaven and couldn't help, as we stood in the lush grass at the cemetery, about my loved ones, my treasures who have gone on to their completeness, their reward in heaven. However one imagines heaven, I know my sister Pegi and my Dad are there. I know my dear friend Janie and "Papa" Lamb, along with my Nanny and Gramps and all those who gave love a true meaning in my life. I have buried so many people that I love, and a funeral always reminds me of what treasure means to me - and it has nothing to do with coin and everything to do with love.

Today, I want to fins ways to show those around me that they are true treasures. Love is more a thousand times more precious than gold, and community and lives shared are always a blessing, no matter how messy and complicated they might be. May we all find ways to acknowledge our treasures today, the ones who show us the love of God incarnate, love right in the midst of our lives.

No comments: