Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Fullness of Time


In love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight making known to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth. Ephesians 1:4-10

When I think of time the words from an old Dylan song comes to mind, "the times they are a changin'". And how often we have have talked about positive, forward change and how quickly folks move from forward community growth to self protection in hard economic times. We draw in and fail to open out hearts to the needs of those around us. We think of brothers and sisters as only those who are belonging by blood and connections and leave all positive change to the future unfolding of God. We worry about borders and exclusion rather than exclusion.

I struggle with Paul when I hear the words of predestination to be included in God's family when I walk the streets of any city and see the face of God in all sorts of people, who dress, speak, look and think very differently. I struggle to know how God would use me in these turbulent times, and how God would use the church in order to spread love, rather than division and exclusion.

Today, I pray that God will use me to make these changing times - times of positive change in our many communities, here and around the world. I pray that I will be granted an extra measure of strength and compassion. Now is the time, this unique time of change and challenge to be agents of God's love in this broken world.

No comments: