Monday, May 3, 2010

Prayer


But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. Matthew 6:6

Prayer

When I whisper in the night
sleepless anxious turning troubled
a world of tomorrows churning
my brain alight with inevitable dangers
you hear my breaking voice and whisper
back in song.

When I shout in agony loss
like a deep flooding river swirling
carrying me down stream to grief city
a dark and fathomless ache
is answered by your warm arms.

When I laugh joy bubbling
a child face dirty and thrilled
small accomplishments beaming
knees and elbows missing teeth
life is full and you are
sunlight and gold May afternoons.

When silent overcome and shivering
in a winter room with frost around
windows bleak with early sunset
rooms shadowed and dusty with remorse
you are a little bell shimmering
sound in the silent twilight.

And when I lay down in final rest
amidst ancestors and enemies friends
all deeds complete all prayers accomplished
you will breath with me in the light
and walk within us prayer as breathing
prayer as light.

No comments: