Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A Child on the Move

A Child On The Move

I am about to embark on a journey. No matter how old I get, I always feel more like a child than an adult when I set out alone. I wish someone was there to hold my hand. I hope there are kids that like me when I get there. I hope I don't fall down or do something that is truly embarrassing. I would sometimes rather be a small child, lying around on a summer day in my bathing suit, playing a pickle I grew in the garden. My daughter Emily, shown in this picture at age 4 (almost 26 years ago!) knew then, and knows now how to enjoy the days of lingering afternoons and playful dreaming. But now all days are for that. Today, I have to leave home and embark on an adventure, which is both exciting and scary, familiar and totally new. And I am doing the first part alone.

So, to all of you who have to venture out alone today, remember you are not alone. You are not alone in the desire to stay home dreaming in a safe place. You are not alone in the anxiety of facing a new place and using a rusty set of skills. You are not alone in fearing falling or embarrassing yourself. And you are never alone, for God is with us. May we all pray today for those who travel, nearby and far. May we remember that sometimes crossing the street, or forgiving a family member are hard journeys. Each of us venture out alone. Each of us goes with our trembling hand secure in the sure and steady hand of God.

No comments: