Saturday, December 10, 2016

Advent 2016 Mary Letter Day 14


When John heard in prison what the Messiah was doing, he sent word by his disciples and said to him, “Are you the one who is to come, or are we to wait for another?” Jesus answered them, “Go and tell John what you hear and see: the blind receive their sight, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the poor have good news brought to them. And blessed is anyone who takes no offense at me.”
As they went away, Jesus began to speak to the crowds about John: “What did you go out into the wilderness to look at? A reed shaken by the wind? What then did you go out to see? Someone dressed in soft robes? Look, those who wear soft robes are in royal palaces. What then did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I tell you, and more than a prophet. This is the one about whom it is written,
‘See, I am sending my messenger ahead of you,
who will prepare your way before you.’
“Truly I tell you, among those born of women no one has arisen greater than John the Baptist; yet the least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.” Matthew 11:2-11


Dear Aunt Elizabeth,

We are getting close to leaving home but it will have to wait until tomorrow at the earliest. Joseph has to finish up a big project that he has been doing for our neighbors. They will pay him when he is finished and he wants to have plenty of money for our trip. Papa says it could wait and would lend him the money, but oh, not Joseph, he is too proud and likes to do things right. Mama thinks he's just stalling but I know he is a man of his word, gentle and with a deep strength that many don't see it. We're going to have a big feast before we leave and Mama is making all sorts of goodies and all of my favorite dishes. It's like a birthday celebration but I know it will be hard for all of us. Parting and going off into the unknown is scary for all of us. We have been together for so long and now everything will change.

Auntie, I have been thinking about your beautiful little boy and wondering how he is growing. I know that he is going to grow up to do wonderful things, and make the world a better place. God has promised that to you. And God has made great promises to me also about this child who has changed my life entirely already. He's not even here and everything is upside down and the nothing is the same. Mama wants me to be more practical and forget about the dreams. She wants me to let go of the hopes and dreams I have but I cannot. I have to follow God, even though it means leaving everything I know behind. My heart is overflowing and breaking too. I am excited and terrified. I ask for your prayers now more than ever.

Much love

Mary




No comments: