Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Advent 2016 Mary Letter Day 17


The beginning of the good news of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.
As it is written in the prophet Isaiah,
“See, I am sending my messenger ahead of you, who will prepare your way; the voice of one crying out in the wilderness: ‘Prepare the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.'”
John the baptizer appeared in the wilderness, proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sin And people from the whole Judean countryside and all the people of Jerusalem were going out to him, and were baptized by him in the river Jordan, confessing their sins. Now John was clothed with camel’s hair, with a leather belt around his waist, and he ate locusts and wild honey. He proclaimed, “The one who is more powerful than I is coming after me; I am not worthy to stoop down and untie the thong of his sandals. I have baptized you with water; but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.” Mark 1:1-8

Dear Aunt Elizabeth,

We woke up this morning quite late since it was cool and unusually overcast. We sat together, Joseph and I, watching the world around us. The shepherds were out calling to one another and they broke into song. Their song floated on the breeze to us. "Remember your words to your servant, your words have given me hope."  Every day, despite our mounting anxieties and worries, we are reminded of God's faithfulness. Jeremiah, my brother in law, called to us to come and eat and we came down from the roof, me very slowly, and joined the family. We are resting here while the plans for travel are finalized. We hit a snag or two, since most of the relatives in Bethlehem are filled to capacity already.

Mama sent a message of love and encouragement ahead of us. It warmed my heart since she had been so strict and seemingly angry these last days. I realize now she has been so worried and anxious for us and especially for me. A mother's love is an extraordinary thing - both tender and fierce! I guess very soon I too will become both a gentle song and a fierce lion!

Please give little John a big hug for me. I wish I could just come to your house now and play with the baby rather than planning and venturing into strange places and times.

Much love,

Mary

No comments: