Sunday, December 4, 2016

Advent 2016 Mary letter day 7




ln those days John the Baptist appeared in the wilderness of Judea, proclaiming,
 “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.” This is the one of whom the
prophet Isaiah spoke when he said,
“The voice of one crying out in the wilderness:
‘Prepare the way of the Lord,
make his paths straight.’”
Now John wore clothing of camel’s hair with a leather belt around his waist,
 and his food was locusts and wild honey. Then the people of Jerusalem and
 all Judea were going out to him, and all the region along the Jordan, and they
 were baptized by him in the river Jordan, confessing their sins.
But when he saw many Pharisees and Sadducees coming for baptism,
 he said to them, “You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee
 from the wrath to come? Bear fruit worthy of repentance.
Do not presume to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as
our ancestor’; for I tell you, God is able from these stones to
 raise up children to Abraham. Even now the ax is lying at
 the root of the trees; every tree therefore that does not bear
 good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.
“I baptize you with water for repentance, but one who is
more powerful than I is coming after me; I am not worthy
to carry his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy
 Spirit and fire. His winnowing fork is in his hand, and
 he will clear his threshing floor and will gather his
wheat into the granary; but the chaff he will burn
with unquenchable fire.” Matthew 3:1-12

Dear Aunt Elizabeth,

I am sorry I didn't write yesterday. I got to sit
 outside in the early morning and was
enjoying the song of the birds and the
 gentle breeze when I became quite faint.
Mama rushed to my side and made me
 go right to bed, refusing to let me up at all.
She fed me broth and worried over me all
day and into the night. Her recent anger has
 turned to worry, for which I am grateful.
 I wasn'the sick, but just dizzy. I guess she
thought the babe might be coming. All is
well though, and Joseph was here all day
 as well. They'really finally making room for
 him,  as he is my husband.

I got up today and washed myself. Auntie,
 I cannot believe how huge my belly is!
 The babe likes to kick a good bit but he
 must be squashed up inside me. It is all
 such a mystery, such a blessing, and also
 so confusing. At least for us. Following  God
 demands such patience, such trust in the
 dark and a willingness to go blindly forward.
 I know you can understand.  At least your
 husband was silent throughout your
 pregnancy!  I've got people telling me
 what to do and how to do it every minute
 of the day. I think they believe they are
 helping, but sometimes, it is such a pain!
 Well, I best get back to my preparations  .
 We have a big journey ahead and I am huge
 -such a challenge for us all.

Love forever,

Mary

No comments: