Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Advent 2016 Mary Letter Day 9


Then Jesus told them a parable: “Look at the fig tree and all the trees; as soon as they sprout leaves you can see for yourselves and know that summer is already near. So also, when you see these things taking place, you know that the kingdom of God is near. Truly I tell you, this generation will not pass away until all things have taken place. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.
“Be on guard so that your hearts are not weighed down with dissipation and drunkenness and the worries of this life, and that day does not catch you unexpectedly, like a trap. For it will come upon all who live on the face of the whole earth. Be alert at all times, praying that you may have the strength to escape all these things that will take place, and to stand before the Son of Man.”
Every day he was teaching in the temple, and at night he would go out and spend the night on the Mount of Olives, as it was called. And all the people would get up early in the morning to listen to him in the temple. Luke 21:29-38

Dear Aunt Elizabeth,

last night it was cool and dry and I sat for a good long while out underneath the big fig tree in our yard. We have a soft reclining couch we take outside at night and I stayed out there quite late. I enjoy my evenings outside, since during the day it is too dangerous for me. Daylight hour I spend reading, as much as I can get my hands on. We will not be able to take anything but food and necessities on our journey. I was reflecting on the many stories about Miriam last night after having read her story again during the day. I think I dozed off for a time and have a wondrous dream. I saw the baby within me as a grown man, and love and peace radiated from him. He was teaching to a large crowd, which was filled with rich and poor alike. These words came to me from the Psalms of David -

Blessed is the LORD!
for you have heard the voice of my prayer.
The LORD is my strength and my shield;
my heart trusts in you, and I have been helped;
Therefore my heart dances for joy,
and in my song will I praise you.
You, O LORD, are the strength of your people,
a safe refuge for your anointed.
Save your people and bless your inheritance;
shepherd them and carry them for ever.

After so much worry and anxiety surrounding me, I felt light and safe for the first time in many days. It is so easy to give into fear, but I want to trust God completely and be a vessel for love and compassion, not a container for guilt, pain and fear. I had a brief glimpse into what God has in store, and I know this child has so much to teach me and to give to the world. I just pray I am strong and faithful in what I have been given.

Much love,

Mary


No comments: