Friday, December 2, 2016

Advent 2016 Mary Letter Day 6


Then Jesus said to them, “How can they say that the Messiah is David’s son? For David himself says in the book of Psalms, ‘The Lord said to my Lord, “Sit at my right hand, until I make your enemies your footstool.”‘ David thus calls him Lord; so how can he be his son?” In the hearing of all the people he said to the disciples, “Beware of the scribes, who like to walk around in long robes, and love to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces, and to have the best seats in the synagogues and places of honor at banquets. They devour widows’ houses and for the sake of appearance say long prayers. They will receive the greater condemnation.”
He looked up and saw rich people putting their gifts into the treasury; he also saw a poor widow put in two small copper coins. He said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all of them; for all of them have contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty has put in all she had to live on.” Luke 20:41 – 21:4 


Dear Aunt Elizabeth,

These days have been very trying and often thrilling at the same time.  We learned yesterday that the leaders of the synagogue are planning to punish us in some way. Fortunately, we don't have a verdict yet. Mama and Poppa are trying to be very clam and prayerful but it can be too much some days. They are beginning to look to relatives that could keep us until the baby comes. They want us somewhere safe and fear the wrath of the people in our village, people we have known all of our lives. Can you imagine, one day you have dear friends and next they treat us as the enemy?

On the other hand, Old Delilah, the widow how has no means and is our town's charity case arrived at our door. Mama got ready to give her some food but she refused. She wanted to see me. Mama brought her into my room where I was resting. She asked us both to sit for she had something to say that was very important. She's a little touched, so we played along but didn't think much of it. She then knelt down beside me, kissed my hand and told us she had a dream. She said that she saw the child, perfect and sweet and he was a prince and I was a queen. She told me she had heard me called the queen of heaven. Can you imagine? Then, she took my hand again and placed several silver coins in my hand. She said God told her I would know how to use it on the upcoming journey. And then she got up and left after telling me never to be afraid! Mama and I were shocked, we could barely get words out and she was gone. A years worth of money for a poor widow and she gave it to me. Tears came, for both of us. Mama tried to find her later, but no one had seen her in the village.

Auntie, God is always surprising us and as soon as we find ourselves in horrible circumstance, we are also given a tremendous blessing that give us hope for the future. It is truly a puzzle but I know that God is good, and I want to get better at trusting completely.

much love

Mary

No comments: