Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Mary Letter Day Five


1 Hear my plea of innocence, 
O Lord; give heed to my cry; * 
listen to my prayer, which does 
not come from lying lips. 
2 Let my vindication come 
forth from your presence; * 
let your eyes be fixed on justice. 
3 Weigh my heart, 
summon me by night, * 
melt me down; you will 
find no impurity in me. 
4 I give no offense with 
my mouth as others do; * 
I have heeded the words of your lips. 
5 My footsteps hold fast 
to the ways of your law; * 
in your paths my feet shall not stumble. 
6 I call upon you, O God, 
for you will answer me; * 
incline your ear to me and hear my words. 
7 Show me your marvelous loving-kindness, * 
O Savior of those who take refuge 
at your right hand from those 
who rise up against them. 
8 Keep me as the apple of your eye; * 
hide me under the shadow of your wings. Psalm 17:1-8

Dear Auntie,

There are some days when all of this seems too hard. I feel like a prisoner in this home, avoiding open doors and keeping out of sight. I sit outside sometimes in the dark to feel the breeze on my face and to hear the wind in the trees, although someone always needs to be with me. Jospeh has taken to coming to sit with me, late in the evening, and we whisper to one another as he points out the constellations. This is the best time of the day for me. I cannot wait until the wedding happens and he can reside here all the time.

Today, Papa and Joseph rode in the cart to our cousins' village. Their rabbi is a family friend, and he seems willing to help us out. Hopefully we will have a wedding very soon! Papa is fearful of our local rabbi, who he believes stirred up the men the other night. Our rabbi can be so very rigid, and I don't think he ever really liked me. He heard that Papa had taught me to read and write and was incensed. Teaching a daughter to read is not against the law of Moses! I cannot wait for their safe return.

Mama has been working hard on my dress and cooking up a storm. I keep telling her that we cannot invite but a few safe people, but she can't seem to help herself. She's also making some baby clothes from the extra fabric. Despite all of the challenges, she is excited for me. She loves to put her hand on my belly and feel the little one kick. It makes her smile and that brings me some joy. I know Mama will be a great help when it comes time for the delivery. I am so grateful for that.

Thank you for your letter and all of your prayers and encouragement. It means the world to me~

Love,

Mary


 

No comments: