Monday, December 4, 2023

Mary Letter Day Three


1 In the Lord have I taken refuge; * 
how then can you say to me, 
"Fly away like a bird to the hilltop; 
2 For see how the wicked 
bend the bow
 and fit their arrows to the string, * 
to shoot from ambush 
at the true of heart. 
3 When the foundations
 are being destroyed, * 
what can the righteous do?" 
 4 The Lord is in his holy temple; * 
the Lord's throne is in heaven. 
 5 His eyes behold
 the inhabited world; * 
his piercing eye weighs our worth. 
 6 The Lord weighs the righteous
 as well as the wicked, * 
but those who delight 
in violence he abhors. 
7 Upon the wicked he shall rain 
coals of fire and burning sulphur; * 
a scorching wind shall be their lot. 
8 For the Lord is righteous; 
he delights in righteous deeds; * 
and the just shall see his face. Psalm 11

Dear Auntie Elizabeth,

I am so grateful to be safe home but miss you so much. The road home was so hot and dusty that I felt really sick before we arrived. I almost fell out of the cart, so we had to stop and find some shade. I still haven't figured out this body of mine at all! Jospeh found us a shady spot by a cool brook. We stopped for a time and when I felt a bit better, I took off my sandals and waded in the water. I think it made Jospeh a bit embarrassed, but it felt great and I really didn't care what anyone thought. I even poured some water over my head and splashed Jospeh a bit, which made him laugh. 

When we finally reached home it had begun to get dark and Mama was in a mood. I think she was worried about me, really, but it sure felt like scolding. I know she is sick with worry and Papa too, although he embraced me when we arrived and greeted Joseph kindly. I am not sure they trust either of us. We talked about our plans as we traveled home and shared them with Mama and Papa, who said very little. Mama saw how tired I was, said we would talk in the morning, and gave us some food to eat. Jospeh left shortly thereafter, and I think he was disappointed by their response. I know them and they will warm up to it, but I wish they could be a little kinder, and little more understanding. Joseph is really trying to make this work and they're not making it easy for him. Ok, I know that's their job, but really!

I had already snuffed the lamp and gone to bed when Mama came in my room. She sat on the bed and stroked my hair like I was a little girl. Then, she surprised me with a beautiful linen dress she has been making for me. It's not finished yet and I cannot wait to try it on I hope there is room for this growing belly of mine!  Auntie, thank you for the time we spent together. It meant the world to me and now I think we might just make it through all of this. And, thank you for your prayers.

Love,

Mary

No comments: