Thursday, December 7, 2023

Mary Letter Day Six


1 Protect me, O God, 
for I take refuge in you; * 
I have said to the Lord, 
"You are my Lord, 
my good above all other." 
2 All my delight is upon 
the godly that are in the land, * 
upon those who are 
noble among the people. 
3 But those who run after other gods *
shall have their troubles multiplied. 
4 Their libations of blood 
I will not offer, * 
nor take the names 
of their gods upon my lips. 
5 O Lord, you are 
my portion and my cup; *
it is you who uphold my lot. 
6 My boundaries enclose a pleasant land; * 
indeed, I have a goodly heritage. 
7 I will bless the Lord 
who gives me counsel; * 
my heart teaches me, night after night. 
8 I have set the Lord always before me; * 
because he is at my right hand I shall not fall. 
9 My heart, therefore, is glad, 
and my spirit rejoices; * 
my body also shall rest in hope. 1
10 For you will not abandon me to the grave, * 
nor let your holy one see the Pit. 
11 You will show me the path of life; * 
in your presence there is fullness of joy, 
and in your right hand are pleasures for evermore. Psalm 16

Dear Auntie,

Another day, another set of challenges. We thought the wedding might happen today but we will probably have to wait a day or two. Mama is beside herself trying to get everything ready, and then Papa got word that rabbi would be delayed due to a family problem. Joseph was really upset, thinking that possibly the rabbi was trying to back out. Papa reassured him that it would all work out. I could see the worry on Mama and Papa's face. This has caused them so much strain and heartache! I feel really guilty sometimes and then I think that I did nothing but say yes. This is the Lord's doing. It may be a mess but I have to believe it is holy somehow.

Mama finished the dress this morning. Despite my expanding belly, I felt very beautiful and even elegant. It is very simple and flowing but Mama added some gorgeous edging and intricate stitching. I can't wait for Joseph to see me in the dress, but Mama strictly forbids it. I guess there are so many rules I failed to learn. I never expected to be a mother and a bride all at once and so very soon. Every once in a while, I see the smile on Mama's lips as she is working on the dress and realize, that despite everything, she is looking forward to a grandchild and a son-in-law too. Papa is mostly grumpy all the time, but I know it's because he is scared for me and for us.

I haven't heard from you so I hope all is well. You must be delivered soon, or, maybe the baby is here already? I have been praying all the time for you and your safe delivery and a healthy child. You have waited so long, and the Lord has blessed you, I know. Please let me know as soon as you can!

Much love,

Mary

No comments: