Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Mary Letter Day Four


1 Help me, Lord, for there 
is no godly one left; * 
the faithful have vanished 
from among us. 
2 Everyone speaks falsely 
with his neighbor; * 
with a smooth tongue 
they speak from a double heart. 
 3 Oh, that the Lord would 
cut off all smooth tongues, * 
and close the lips 
that utter proud boasts! 
 4 Those who say, "With our
 tongue will we prevail; * 
our lips are our own; 
who is lord over us?" 
5 "Because the needy are oppressed, 
and the poor cry out in misery, 
" I will rise up," says the Lord, 
"and give them the help they long for." 
6 The words of the Lord are pure words, * 
like silver refined from ore and
purified seven times in the fire. 
7 O Lord, watch over us * 
and save us from this generation forever.
8 The wicked prowl on every side, * 
and that which is worthless 
is highly prized by everyone. Psalm 12

Dear Auntie,

I really am really quite a mess today and don't know how to make it through. I guess I have been expecting things to go smoothly since the Lord is in charge. I have a look to learn. Last night, long after we had all gone to bed, there was noise and shouting outside the house. Papa got up and tried to find out what was going on. He stood in the doorway, wrapped in a blanket and some men, our neighbors, starting shouting horrible things. They called me a prostitute, among many other cruel names, and demanded I be punished. Papa stayed calm, and fortunately they did not try to hurt him, but we couldn't sleep after that!

One on the men had seen me in our garden and saw I was with child. We have not told anyone about our impending wedding, we have really tried to keep this all within the family. Now, we have to find and new way to live for everyone's protection. Joseph wasn't here last night, of course, so when he came by this morning, he was horrified. Papa and Jospeh talked privately most of the morning.

Here I sit, alone in my room, awaiting their decisions. I feel so useless and foolish. I said yes to the Lord willingly but had no idea what the consequences would be. Oh, Auntie, I don't regret the yes, but I am so hurt by others' judgements. Now I am to stay inside at all times and keep to my room and away from windows and doors! A captive in my own home! I have been trying to pray and trying to find comfort in the songs of David, but I will admit, nothing is really helping. I have cried so much and it seems there are rivers of tears ahead. Please pray for me!

Love,

Mary

No comments: