Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Coming Home


Today, I arrived home from the House of Bishops. I came home a day and a half early since my youngest daughter is home on Spring Break. We have limited time together and I wanted to make the most of it. She drove my car, picking me up at the airport. She jumped out of the car and ran to give me a hug. There is nothing in the world more divine than to have someone run to greet you, with arms outspread and face alive with radiance. I am so blessed today. The ultimate gift of love and welcome home needs few words more. I am so grateful for the expressions of love and family. So here's a little prayer for all of us facing all sorts of homecomings.

Dear God,
I sometimes don't know what will greet me when I walk through the door.
I sometimes worry that no one will notice that I've entered the room.
I sometimes wish that everywhere I went I could be surrounded by loving family.
I often feel the lack of love expressed and wonder where it has gone.
But you are the God who created me and delights in me.
You come running every time with arms outstretched and face alight.
You, are the eternal, loving parent, who notices everything and rejoices in my life, even when there is only silence around me.
In thanksgiving for your overwhelming acts of love, help me, this day, to welcome each and every person I encounter as a long lost relative, a child returning, a mother coming home.
Help me to run for them, reach out for them, smile for them.
Help me to reflect a piece of your finite love in my very finite being.
Give me the strength to rejoice in all your creation.
Amen

1 comment:

Cousin Russ said...

Bishop and Friend,

Welcome home and Thank you for the Prayer. Your words helped make my day.

All the Best.