Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Mary - Letter 3 - Brought Low


O house of Jacob, come, let us walk in the light of the LORD!
For you have forsaken the ways of your people, O house of Jacob.
Indeed they are full of diviners from the east and of soothsayers like the Philistines,
and they clasp hands with foreigners. Their land is filled with silver and gold,
and there is no end to their treasures; their land is filled with horses,
and there is no end to their chariots.
Their land is filled with idols; they bow down to the work of their hands,
to what their own fingers have made.
And so people are humbled, and everyone is brought low —
do not forgive them! Enter into the rock, and hide in the dust
from the terror of the LORD, and from the glory of his majesty.
The haughty eyes of people shall be brought low,
and the pride of everyone shall be humbled;
and the LORD alone will be exalted on that day. Isaiah 2: 5-11



Dear Auntie,

Although yesterday gave me a real sense of peace and promise, this day brought darkness and sadness beyond what I could have ever imagined. Joseph came knocking on our door to say that the leaders of the synagogue had been talking about punishing us. He thought we should go into hiding but papa say no, he would not allow them to hurt us. He was about to leave the house when several of the men showed up at our door. Papa stood outside talking to them as they shouted horrible things. Momma sat in the kitchen and cried. Joseph and I sat with her as it was going on. Their voices rattled the walls and I couldn't help but crying too. We sat for what seemed like an eternity and then it got very quiet. A few minutes later Papa came inside and told us that he had calmed things down but only for the time being. We are going to have to come up with somewhere safer for us to live. Papa and Joseph talked privately after dinner. I felt so helpless.

Unfortunately, that was not the end of it all. Late at night, when we were all sleeping, someone hurled rocks at our house. Papa got up and rushed outside but could not find out who did it. He came inside and sat in silence for a long time. When I tried to talk with him, he just shut me out. I went back to bed a cried until I was spent.  My parents have tried to be supportive but they don't seem to really understand. It feels as if they think I am lying or crazy - or maybe both.

I have no idea what tomorrow will bring. Aunt Elizabeth, I will try to keep in touch but I am so afraid and anxious. I cannot sleep very well anymore. The world seems against me. I will keep saying the prayers that you taught me and trust that God has a way forward. I cannot see it tonight. Everything is bleak.

much love

Mary


No comments: