Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Mary Letter Two - A New Song

Sing to the LORD a new song;
sing to the LORD, all the whole earth.
Sing to the LORD and bless his Name;
proclaim the good news of his salvation from day to day.
Declare his glory among the nations
and his wonders among all peoples.
For great is the LORD and greatly to be praised;
he is more to be feared than all gods.
As for all the gods of the nations, they are but idols;
but it is the LORD who made the heavens.
Oh, the majesty and magnificence of his presence!
Oh, the power and the splendor of his sanctuary!
Ascribe to the LORD, you families of the peoples;
ascribe to the LORD honor and power. Psalm 96:1-7


Dear Aunt Elizabeth,

Today has been a very different day for me. Momma had me hang the laundry outside. The breeze was warm and gentle, so afterwards I went and sat under the old fig tree. I must have dozed a little, as I seem to be tired all of the time. My delivery must not be too far off my mother says. Anyway, I woke to hear the neighborhood children singing songs I used to sing as a child. They were singing first a silly song then they broke into  an ancient song of King David. It was as if the baby was dancing, lightly, joyfully. A new song, a new song, they sang.

Yesterday seemed so heavy, so much anger and pain surrounded me. Somehow today God has blessed me with an insight into what might be possible. There is more for me than sorrow and shame. There is a new song somewhere within me, ready to be born with this new life. I am not patient, you know that. But today, I know that this waiting will somehow be more than I can imagine, somehow there are blessings more than what I can see today. I decided to sing all the old songs I remember until a new song bubble forth.

 I know you are ready to deliver and my prayers are constant for you. Don't be afraid, there is more for us, I believe. I am hopeful and ready for what is ahead. Please send word when your child arrives. How I long to see you again. You always have helped me to be strong.

love,

Mary

No comments: