Friday, December 19, 2014

Mary Letter - Day 19 - Hear My Cry

 I waited patiently upon the LORD; you stooped to me and heard my cry.
You lifted me out of the desolate pit, out of the mire and clay; you set my feet upon a high cliff and made my footing sure.
You put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God; many shall see, and stand in awe, and put their trust in the LORD.
Happy are they who trust in the LORD! they do not resort to evil spirits or turn to false gods.
Great things are they that you have done, O LORD my God! how great your wonders and your plans for us! there is none who can be compared with you.
Oh, that I could make them known and tell them! but they are more than I can count.
In sacrifice and offering you take no pleasure (you have given me ears to hear you);
Burnt-offering and sin-offering you have not required, and so I said, "Behold, I come.
In the roll of the book it is written concerning me: 'I love to do your will, O my God;
your law is deep in my heart.'"
I proclaimed righteousness in the great congregation; behold, I did not restrain my lips;
and that, O LORD, you know.
Your righteousness have I not hidden in my heart; I have spoken of your faithfulness and your deliverance; I have not concealed your love and faithfulness from the great congregation.
You are the LORD; do not withhold your compassion from me; let your love and your faithfulness keep me safe for ever,
For innumerable troubles have crowded upon me; my sins have overtaken me, and I cannot see; they are more in number than the hairs of my head, and my heart fails me.
Be pleased, O LORD, to deliver me; O LORD, make haste to help me.
Let them be ashamed and altogether dismayed who seek after my life to destroy it; let them draw back and be disgraced who take pleasure in my misfortune.
 Let those who say "Aha!" and gloat over me be confounded, because they are ashamed.
Let all who seek you rejoice in you and be glad; let those who love your salvation continually say,
"Great is the LORD!"
 Though I am poor and afflicted, the Lord will have regard for me.
You are my helper and my deliverer; do not tarry, O my God. Psalm 40


Dear Aunt Elizabeth,

I try to start every day hopeful and prayerful. The night in the cave was long and it took me a good long time to fall asleep. The creatures around us made noises I had never heard and the baby was active every few hours. But I got up and made us some breakfast before we set out. Joseph had made a fire and it lasted through the night, so we were able to have some warm food for a change. Unfortunately the day went downhill from there.

We followed the path we had been given, a slow crawl through the hills and around ridges. Sometimes we could glimpse the main road. My was it crowded, but moving still much faster than we were able. As we were coming across one rocky outcropping, the donkey lost his footing. I went sliding off his back and bumped down about  20 feet before I rolled another 20. I was stopped by another small outcropping, and boy was I grateful. I could have fallen much further! Joseph came sliding down after me and wouldn't let me move for a good long time. He was worried and furious all at the same time. I wasn't hurt except for a few bumps and bruises. Thank God! And the baby is moving and active, so I suppose he is alright too. We set up camp in a level place nearby and gave up trying to travel for the rest of the day.

Joseph has decided that we have to move to the main road tomorrow. He said he understands that people might still be looking for us, but that if we move mostly in the darkness and stay inside during the height of the day, we should be ok. He is so worried about me and the baby. He doesn't think this way will make us any safer in the long run. In the morning he will leave me here and find a place for us to rest along the main Bethlehem road until the twilight and we can move more easily. I think it's a good plan. We have only each other and we have to trust that God will keep us safe. This hiding has been more dangerous than we could have imagined.

I am very weary right now so I will say goodnight for now. Please pray for us. We want to do God's will and some days it feels as if we are not up to the challange!
love

Mary



No comments: