Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Mary Letter Day Fourteen


65 O LORD, you have dealt 
graciously with your servant, *
according to your word. 
66 Teach me discernment 
and knowledge, * 
for I have believed 
in your commandments. 
67 Before I was 
afflicted I went astray, * 
but now I keep your word. 
68 You are good and 
you bring forth good; * 
instruct me in your statutes. 
69 The proud have 
smeared me with lies, * 
but I will keep your 
commandments with 
my whole heart. 
70 Their heart is gross and fat, * 
but my delight is in your law. 
71 It is good for me that 
I have been afflicted, * 
that I might learn your statutes. 
72 The law of your mouth is dearer to me * 
than thousands in gold and silver. Psalm 119: 65-72

Dear Auntie,

It seems there's never a dull moment in my world. Just few months ago I was a bored teenager, complaining about my parents. Now I am a married woman, growing bigger by the day, and the center of controversy in our village. It seems it's not enough for folks that we are legally married, but they cling to some laws that says we need to be punished. Some men came by last evening and spoke angrily with Papa and Jospeh. They finally went away, and we were able to have our supper, but both Papa and Joseph were visibly shaken. Then in the middle of the night, rocks were thrown at our house. We were all awakened, and found nasty notes tied to the rocks. It was hard to sleep after that. Mama was really shaken by it all.

It seems that saying yes to God had consequences I couldn't have anticipated. Why people feel attacking others is ever a god idea, I will never know. All of our plans for travel to Bethlehem now have to move more quickly. Papa and Jospeh are pouring over maps and making plans. Mama has made arrangements for the wise women to come and check me out. Our local wise women refused, so she has to reach out to cousins in another village for help. She wants to make sure it is safe for me to travel.

Elizabeth, we could really use your prayers. I love God and do not doubt that this is a wonderful gift for the world. Yet, this has caused my parents and Jospeh such pain. I am so hurt by what folks who used to be good friends are doing and saying. 

much love,

Mary


No comments: