Thursday, December 1, 2022

Mary Letter Day Five


1 I love you, O LORD my strength, * 
O LORD my stronghold, 
my crag, and my haven. 
2 My God, my rock in 
whom I put my trust, * 
my shield, the horn of my salvation, 
and my refuge; you are worthy of praise. 
3 I will call upon the LORD, * 
and so shall I be saved from my enemies. 
4 The breakers of death rolled over me, * 
and the torrents of oblivion made me afraid. 
5 The cords of hell entangled me, * 
and the snares of death were set for me. 
6 I called upon the LORD in my distress * 
and cried out to my God for help. 
7 You heard my voice 
from your heavenly dwelling; *
 my cry of anguish came to your ears.
 Psalm 18:1-7



Dear Auntie Elizabeth,

The excitement and euphoria of Joseph's dream and my parents accepting my story has fully passed. Now, the hard work of finding a rabbi to marry us, keeping me safe from prying neighbors, and all the arrangement Mama feels we need to make, consume every waking moment. I hardly know Joseph, so I suggested that we have some time to get to know each other. Papa bellowed, " you'll have a lifetime to get to know each other, once you are married!" I think he will relax when I am no longer his "problem." I'm pretty overwhelmed by all of this and am not sleeping very well. I often slip out into the garden at night, where it is cool, and I can think and pray. Looking at the stars helps me keep things in perspective.

Mama is suggesting that I come for a visit with you very soon. She has arranged for Philip, her cousin to take me to you. He has a comfortable cart for me to ride in and there will be room for all the provisions Mama will insist on sending along. Our garden has been very abundant, and she wants to share the produce so as not be so overwhelmed. I am really looking forward to being with you. It's too hectic and anxious for me here. I think they'll make the wedding arrangements while I am gone, which is fine with me. I suggested that Joseph comes and get me, so we can have a chance to talk without listening ears and prying eyes.

Auntie, you have so much to teach me! You calm and faithfulness are evident, and I want to learn to be more like you. I know I am young, but I have a big responsibility thrust on me. I need all the help I can get.

Love,

Mary

No comments: