Friday, December 16, 2022

Mary Letter Day Sixteen


1 I waited patiently upon the LORD; * 
you stooped to me and heard my cry. 
2 You lifted me out of the desolate pit, 
out of the mire and clay; * 
you set my feet upon a high cliff 
and made my footing sure. 
3 You put a new song in my mouth, 
a song of praise to our God; * 
many shall see, and stand in awe, 
and put their trust in the LORD. 
4 Happy are they who trust in the LORD! * 
they do not resort to evil spirits 
or turn to false gods. 
5 Great things are they that you 
have done, O LORD my God! 
how great your wonders 
and your plans for us! * 
there is none who can
 be compared with you. 
6 Oh, that I could make them
 known and tell them! * 
but they are more than I can count. 
7 In sacrifice and offering 
you take no pleasure *
 (you have given me ears to hear you); 
8 Burnt-offering and sin-offering 
you have not required, * 
and so I said, “Behold, I come. 
9 In the roll of the book 
it is written concerning me: * 
‘I love to do your will, O my God; 
your law is deep in my heart.'” 
10 I proclaimed righteousness 
in the great congregation; * 
behold, I did not restrain my lips; 
and that, O LORD, you know. 
11 Your righteousness have I not 
hidden in my heart; 
I have spoken of your faithfulness
 and your deliverance; * 
I have not concealed your love and 
faithfulness from the great congregation. Psalm 40

Dear Auntie Elizabeth,

This will be my last letter from home. We will set out at sunset and travel a few miles tonight, so we are out of range of local detractors. We have a cousin, Ruth, who will welcome us to her home. Mama says she is quite old, so I hope we don't disturb her too much. Her son Samuel lives with her and will provide us support and help for our journey. A few days ago, I was quite afraid for this journey. Now, I am both peaceful and excited. I have come to realize that the judgement of humans is always shallow, while God's call is deep, persistent and reliable. Joseph and Papa have been thorough in their planning, so I think we will travel well. Mama has had a few tears and once she starts, I can't help but cry too. I will miss her so much!

We had our visit from the wise women who checked me out thoroughly! Yikes, the poked and listened just about everywhere. I was so embarrassed! They pronounced that I was in fine shape for travel and that the baby was growing big and strong. They also gave me advice as to regular rest time on our journey and wat to watch out for and when to get help. I don't plan to have this baby anywhere but here at home! I am grateful for their advice and wisdom. It makes me feel like everything is going to be all right.

We are having a big meal at noon day, and then Mama insists we take a rest, so we are ready for our journey. I am surely to excited to sleep but I will follow her instruction. She is so worried about me, so being in charge of our last hours helps her in some way. We will also have night prayers before we take to the road. Please pray for me and Joseph, and for Mama and Papa staying behind. I am sure they will worry until they see us returning.

Much love,

Mary

No comments: