Friday, December 22, 2023

Mary Letter Day Eighteen


1 Save me, O God, 
by your Name; * 
in your might, 
defend my cause. 
 2 Hear my prayer, O God; *
 give ear to the 
words of my mouth.
 3 For the arrogant have 
risen up against me, 
and the ruthless 
have sought my life, *
those who have no regard for God. 
4 Behold, God is my helper; * 
it is the Lord who sustains my life. 
 5 Render evil to those 
who spy on me; * 
in your faithfulness, destroy them. 
 6 I will offer you a
 freewill sacrifice * 
and praise your Name, 
O Lord, for it is good
 7 For you have rescued 
me from every trouble, * 
and my eye has seen the ruin of my foes. Psalm 54

Dear Aunt Elizabeth,

We have arrived in Bethlehem, finally. It was not what I expected at all. The city is so crowded with people and animals, the smell is overwhelming and the noise of it all is deafening. I realize how much of a country girl I am. When we arrived here I was overwhelmed by the crowding, the pushing and the shoving and almost fainted. Joseph took me to inn after inn to find a place for me to rest. Every last place was full. I started to cry and was so upset. I couldn't help it. The last innkeeper's wife saw me weeping and took pity on me. She came and brought me water and said they had a clean stable behind the inn and she would make a comfortable bed for mee there. Joseh said we would keep looking, but I persuaded him that we had exhausted all our options. So here we are.

The good news is I've had a meal and a bit of a rest and am feeling much better. Anna, the innkeeper, really did make a comfortable and private space for us, hanging blankets to make a separate little bedroom. She has been very attentive and is worried about "my condition" as she calls it. She has arranged for her wise women to check on me sometime while we are here. I explained to her I was planning to get home to have the baby, but she insisted that I might be ready to deliver any day. 

Joseph is out, trying to get his paperwork completed so that we can return home. We've heard lots of rumors about corrupt officials, long wait times and huge lines. I am praying that the Lord will find him a way forward. He has been so patient and attentive but this has been so hard on him. Pray for him and for me. We need strength to get through this and get home to Mama and Papa. Please don't tell them we are in a stable as Mama would be so upset.

Love,

Mary

No comments: