Saturday, December 9, 2023

Second Sunday of Advent- Mary Letter Day Seven






Second Sunday of Advent December 10, 2023

Comfort, O comfort my people, says your God. Speak tenderly to Jerusalem, and cry to her that she has served her term, that her penalty is paid, that she has received from the Lord's hand double for all her sins. A voice cries out: “In the wilderness prepare the way of the Lord, make straight in the desert a highway for our God. Every valley shall be lifted up, and every mountain and hill be made low; the uneven ground shall become level, and the rough places a plain. Then the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all people shall see it together, for the mouth of the Lord has spoken.” A voice says, “Cry out!” And I said, “What shall I cry?” All people are grass, their constancy is like the flower of the field. The grass withers, the flower fades, when the breath of the Lord blows upon it; surely the people are grass. The grass withers, the flower fades; but the word of our God will stand for ever. Get you up to a high mountain, O Zion, herald of good tidings; lift up your voice with strength, O Jerusalem, herald of good tidings, lift it up, do not fear; say to the cities of Judah, “Here is your God!” See, the Lord God comes with might, and his arm rules for him; his reward is with him, and his recompense before him. He will feed his flock like a shepherd; he will gather the lambs in his arms, and carry them in his bosom, and gently lead the mother sheep. Isaiah 40:1-11

Dear Auntie,

Congratulations! Mama and Papa received word that the boy John was safely delivered and you are both well. We heard that Zachariah got his voice back as well! May the Lord be praised! I am so completely happy for you. I hope you are not sore and are healing well. I know that John will be a blessing to very many! I cannot wait that we can see each other, and you can help me get through my delivery. I want you and Mama to be by my side.

Our little wedding happened this week. It was so quiet and so lovely. Joseph and I both had tears in our eyes as we shared the words of our vows. I really didn't look around but I am sure Mama was also weeping. Rabbi Samuel was wonderful, and gave us both a wonderful blessing! Afterwards, we feasted so much and I got a bit uncomfortable when the baby started kicking. For the first time in many days there was so much laughter in this house. Joseph has moved in with us now, since we are really married! Wow, I am still getting used to being married. Having Jospeh here with me is so calming. Despite all of the anxiety about our situation, he remains hopeful and has a very deep faith. I feel blessed to have him by my side. He keeps smiling whenever he looks on my growing tummy.

Mama said you are going to send your wise women to help me before and through the delivery. I know they will not gossip and criticize us, which is a great comfort. Safety has become a critical focus for all of us. I wish it wasn't, but we need to follow the Lord and protect this holy child. I have written a prayer which we are using daily and wanted to share with you.


Sending much love and joys,

Mary


A Litany for the Second Sunday of Advent

Gracious Creator, source of all blessings
you breathed our sacred earth into being
you planted our world with plants and trees
and water all life with your wondrous abundance.
Lord, teach us to love tenderly love our home and one another.

We walk the land with thoughtlessness
we damage and destroy your many gifts
we look on ourselves as authors of this life
and forget you hold us all tenderly in your hands.
Lord, teach us to love tenderly love our home and one another.

Help us bend and listen to your creation
she is groaning as she prepares new life
she stretches and is broken for the whole world
and aches to deliver us all to new life again.
Lord, teach us to love tenderly love our home and one another.

The earth has rolled toward darkness and cold
the seas roar and the mountains shake.
Lord, teach us to love tenderly love our home and one another.

You move among the poor and the frightened
you love the smallest shoot and tender buds.
Lord, teach us to love tenderly love our home and one another.

Make us your stewards of love and renewal
help us to prepare the way for your life again.
Lord, teach us to love tenderly love our home and one another. Amen.






No comments: