Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Mary Letter Day Nine


1 O Lord, I call to you; my Rock, 
do not be deaf to my cry; * 
lest, if you do not hear me, 
I become like those who 
go down to the Pit. 
 2 Hear the voice of my prayer 
when I cry out to you, * 
when I lift up my hands 
to your holy of holies. 
3 Do not snatch me away with 
the wicked or with the evildoers, * 
who speak peaceably with their neighbors, 
while strife is in their hearts. 
 4 Repay them according to their deeds, * 
and according to the wickedness of their actions. 
 5 According to the work of their hands repay them, * 
and give them their just deserts. 
 6 They have no understanding
 of the Lord's doings, 
nor of the works of his hands; * 
therefore he will break them down and not build them up. 
 7 Blessed is the Lord! * 
for he has heard the voice of my prayer. 
 8 The Lord is my strength and my shield; * 
my heart trusts in him, and I have been helped; 
 9 Therefore my heart dances for joy, *
 and in my song will I praise him. 
 10 The Lord is the strength of his people, * 
a safe refuge for his anointed. 
 11 Save your people and bless your inheritance; * 
shepherd them and carry them forever. Psalm 28

Dear Aunt Elizaeth,

Thank you for your letter and your prayers. It means so much to me that you are holding me in prayer all the day long. I said yes to the Lord but had no idea what the consequences might be. I was so caught up and so naive! I guess I believed that the path would be smooth and I would glide along guarded by angels. There might be angels around somewhere, but I cannot see or feel them, and there's no gliding about in this body. I lumber around like some awkward giant, bumping in to things and having a hard time getting up from a chair. I groan like an old person! And yet, each kick makes me smile and it is so sweet to see Joseph's face light up when he touches my tummy.

Mama is busily making baby clothes, although I have assured her that I will be back home before delivery. She has also arranged, with you help I've learned, a visit from the wise women who tended you! She wants them to examine me before we travel, to make sure it's safe for me to travel. I think she would rather I would stay home and hopes they can affirm her wishes. Joseph, on the other hand, thinks I need to be with him on this journey, as do I. The weight of this child and the weight of these decisions is so heavy on my heart, Auntie. Please pray for peace in my heart as the world swirls around.

Love,

Mary

No comments: