Saturday, December 23, 2023

Fourth Sunday of Advent and Christmas Eve




Mary Letter Day Nineteen 

Christmas Eve and Advent Four 2023


In the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent by God to a town in Galilee called Nazareth, to a virgin engaged to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David. The virgin’s name was Mary. And he came to her and said, “Greetings, favored one! The Lord is with you.” But she was much perplexed by his words and pondered what sort of greeting this might be. The angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. And now, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you will name him Jesus. He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Most High, and the Lord God will give to him the throne of his ancestor David. He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom there will be no end.” Mary said to the angel, “How can this be, since I am a virgin?” The angel said to her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be holy; he will be called Son of God. And now, your relative Elizabeth in her old age has also conceived a son; and this is the sixth month for her who was said to be barren. For nothing will be impossible with God.” Then Mary said, “Here am I, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word.” Then the angel departed from her. Luke 1:26-38

Dear Auntie,

Well, I think the time has come although we are still in Bethlehem. Joseph left this morning with all assurances that the paperwork would be concluded, and we could head home this evening. I didn't tell him that I wasn't feeling good, as he didn't need any more worries. I started having a few cramps at daybreak. After Joseph left, I told Anna and she said I was probably in labor! I know when I said yes to the angel of the Lord that I did not expect these circumstances. I'm sacred! And yet, I remember the words of the angel. "For nothing is impossible with God!" So, here I am, in a crowded and noisy occupied Bethlehem, in a stable with a makeshift bed, ready to deliver the child of God. Anna as gone to get the wise women and has gathered all the necessary supplies.

Auntie, I know that God is with us despite all of these scary circumstances. And yet, I have to admit to being terrified and aching for my Mama. I am not ready for this! Anna taught me how to breathe through the pains, so I can stay calm while she and Joseph are out. I have yet to be successful and have scared the animals with my yelling. I know you have been through this and are praying for me. That is a comfort, truly. I cannot write to Mama and Papa because I feel like I have disappointed them and worried them so much.

The cramps are getting closer and I cannot concentrate at all. Anna has returned and told me to quit writing and concentrate on this baby. She has a courier who will carry this letter to you, and bring you news of the birth. Pray, please for me, for Jospeh and for this child.

much love,

Mary

A Litany for the Fourth Sunday of Advent

Wondrous Creator, source of all life
you are with us in our lonely places
you stand with us when we are in pain
and you cause life to be born anew in us.
Lord, help us to be faithful and say yes with Mary.

The world is wracked with war and violence
Bethlehem is a place of great fear and sadness
the world has grown cold and dark in this season
and we are all afraid of what lies ahead of us.
Lord, help us to be faithful and say yes with Mary.

You, O Lord still have miracles and possibilities
when we can find no way forward in the gloom
your light shines in the deepest hidden shadows
and finds us amidst the fear and worry that enfolds us.
Lord, help us to be faithful and say yes with Mary.

Despite our failings, our sinfulness and weariness
you come to bring us peace and newness of life.
Lord, help us to be faithful and say yes with Mary.

You are with those who are without a home
and you make your home with the broken ones.
Lord, help us to be faithful and say yes with Mary.

For you are our Creator, source of light and love
and you have made us your beloved offspring. 
Lord, help us to be faithful and say yes with Mary. Amen.


No comments: