Monday, June 23, 2008

Sleepy in New Jersey



It is a dull Monday morning, with a good chance of rain. The air is heavy with moisture and the sky is gun metal gray. Everything looks a little weary around the edges as if it is too much effort to wake up and feel alert. Even the flowers in my yard are drooping, and yet they have been watered and tended well. The outside and my inside seem to be in a state of total harmony. Exterior and interior mirror one another well and are in perfect lethargic sympathy. There is no cure for this state but a good rain, a good nap, and a cooperative cold front from the west.

When my children were small we read and reread a wonderful book called, 'Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs". It was the story of the town of Chew and Swallow and how it had stopped raining water and started raining food. It was quite a mess, as you can imagine with large food bits draped all over houses and people. We all loved laughing about the silly pretend danger that the flooding of pancake syrup might cause. But indeed, many places have been inundated with real flood waters, and their homes and lives have been destroyed. For every scene of devastation, there are also scenes of neighbors and strangers lifting sand bags, rescuing animals - reaching out in love and concern.

Today, on this dull morning, potent with storms, I want to remember those who are facing radical crisis in their lives. They have no chance to be sleepy, they need to keep awake to keep alive. I realize how blessed I am this morning to simply struggle with the small tasks of life. And I want to raise up in prayer all of those who are truly battling for their lives.

Dear God,

Thank you for the safety in which I live today,
open my eyes to those who have no safety.

Thank you for your rains that tenderly water the tender plants,
preserve this day those tender ones who are vulnerable
and have no protection.

Thank you for my noisy friends and family,
help me to be a friend to those who hear
only their own voice.

God, you have brought me safely to this day,
give me your strength to share your blessings
with the anxious and aching world around.

Amen

No comments: