Monday, December 24, 2018

Christmas Day - Mary Letter Day 24

In those days a decree went out from Emperor Augustus that all the world should be registered. This was the first registration and was taken while Quirinius was governor of Syria. All went to their own towns to be registered. Joseph also went from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to the city of David called Bethlehem, because he was descended from the house and family of David. He went to be registered with Mary,
 to whom he was engaged and who was expecting a child. 
While they were there, the time came for her to deliver her
 child. And she gave birth to her firstborn son and wrapped him
 in bands of cloth, and laid him in a manger, because there was
 no place for them in the inn.
 In that region there were shepherds living in the fields, keeping
 watch over their flock by night. Then an angel of the Lord stood
 before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and
 they were terrified. But the angel said to them, ‘Do not be
 afraid; for see—I am bringing you good news of great joy for all
 the people: to you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, 
who is the Messiah, the Lord. This will be a sign for you: you will
 find a child wrapped in bands of cloth and lying in a manger.’ 
And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the 
heavenly host, praising God and saying,
‘Glory to God in the highest heaven,
 and on earth peace among those whom he favors!’
 When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the
 shepherds said to one another, ‘Let us go now to Bethlehem 
and see this thing that has taken place, which the Lord has made
 known to us.’ So they went with haste and found Mary and 
Joseph, and the child lying in the manger. When they saw this,
 they made known what had been told them about this child;
 and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds told
 them. But Mary treasured all these words and pondered them
 in her heart. The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God
 for all they had heard and seen, as it had been told them. 
Luke 2:1-20

Dear Elizabeth,

What a night! The pains came steady and furiously. There were wise
women from the neighborhood here with me. Our in keeper, Miriam, 
stood by, making sure there was water, linens and food as needed. I
tried to be brave and not cry out, but sometimes I had to scream! It
was overwhelming one minute and then suddenly, it was over. A very
healthy and perfect little boy is here with us! All the worry and pain
seemed to disappear and I was caught up by the miracle of him. He's
perfect and beautiful! I know I'm his mother but he really is the most
wonderful baby in the world.

After the women got me cleaned up and settled, they brought us a
light meal and promised to come by and check on me everyday! I
was so excited I didn't think I could sleep, but then we were both 
out in minutes. It had been a long day and night and we slept hard
until my little one woke me up, crying and hungry. As I fed him, I
couldn't help but marvel at God's tremendous gift. The hard road
we have traveled now seem so insignificant to what we have
received. I promise I will write Momma and Poppa tomorrow to
tell them the good news as you instructed. They expected us back
by now, and deserve something to cheer about. I can't wait to
return home and show him off. I know they will love him!

love always,

Mary

No comments: