Friday, December 7, 2018

Endurance - Mary Letter Day 7

For Saturday, Dec 8th



When some were speaking about
 the temple, how it was adorned 
with beautiful stones and gifts 
dedicated to God, he said, ‘As for 
these things that you see, the days
 will come when not one stone 
will be left upon another; all will 
be thrown down.’
 They asked him, ‘Teacher, when 
will this be, and what will be
 the sign that this is about to take 
place?’ And he said, ‘Beware 
that you are not led astray; for many 
will come in my name and 
say, “I am he!” and, “The time is near!” 
Do not go after them.
 ‘When you hear of wars and 
insurrections, do not be terrified; 
for these things must take place 
first, but the end will not follow
 immediately.’ Then he said to them, 
‘Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom
 against kingdom; there will be great
 earthquakes, and in various places famines and plagues; and
 there will be dreadful portents and great signs from heaven.
 ‘But before all this occurs, they will arrest you and persecute
 you; they will hand you over to synagogues and prisons, and 
you will be brought before kings and governors because of my 
name. This will give you an opportunity to testify. So make up 
your minds not to prepare your defence in advance; for I will 
give you words and a wisdom that none of your opponents will
 be able to withstand or contradict. You will be betrayed even 
by parents and brothers, by relatives and friends; and they will
 put some of you to death. You will be hated by all because of
 my name. But not a hair of your head will perish. By your 
endurance you will gain your souls. Luke 21:5-19


Dear Aunt Elizabeth,

Today, I have much to write to you about. I feel like
all parts of my life are a trial. I wish I could see that
this will all work out just fine, but there is so much
to be worried about these days.

Poppa and Joseph have been making plans that they
do not include me in. I have been kept aware of what
is going on because Momma is so terribly worried. The
call to register for the tax has gone out, so Joseph and
Poppa think that will be a good way to get us out of
town for a time until things can calm down. Some of 
the men from the synagogue have been very hurtful
to Poppa and Joseph. They told them I should be 
stoned for my behavior! Can you believe it? And it
really seems like they are not going to let up about it.
The men think our going away for a little while will
help things change but I don't see how that can help.
Ignorance and cruelty don't change very easily.

In the meantime, Momma wants to make sure that I am
healthy, so she had some of the wise women come and
examine me. I was so embarrassed!! They checked me 
out everywhere, poking and prodding, acting like they
didn't have to worry about my feelings. I was red as a
beet from embarrassment! It took me hours to get over 
it. The good news is that they think I am very healthy 
and strong and should not be hurt by traveling. After
they got done I wanted to run away for sure!

Auntie, I know following our God is not supposed to be
very easy, but I didn't know it was going to be so hard so
very soon. I ask you to pray for me, for endurance and 
patience. I want to be strong and calm but it sure isn't
very easy. Actually, it get harder every day!

Send me news about your progress and please let me know
when the child has arrived! We pray for you at every meal
and before I lay down for the night.

Love always,

Mary



No comments: