Monday, December 10, 2018

Waiting - Mary Letter Day 9

To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
O my God, in you I trust;
   do not let me be put to shame;
   do not let my enemies exult over me.
Do not let those who wait for you be put to shame;
   let them be ashamed who are wantonly treacherous.

Make me to know your ways, O Lord;
   teach me your paths.
Lead me in your truth, and teach me,
   for you are the God of my salvation;
   for you I wait all day long.

Be mindful of your mercy, O Lord, and of your steadfast love,
   for they have been from of old.
Do not remember the sins of my youth or my transgressions;
   according to your steadfast love remember me,
   for your goodness’ sake, O Lord!

Good and upright is the Lord;
   therefore he instructs sinners in the way.
He leads the humble in what is right,
   and teaches the humble his way.
All the paths of the Lord are steadfast love and faithfulness,
   for those who keep his covenant and his decrees.

For your name’s sake, O Lord,
   pardon my guilt, for it is great.
Who are they that fear the Lord?
   He will teach them the way that they should choose.

They will abide in prosperity,
   and their children shall possess the land.
The friendship of the Lord is for those who fear him,
   and he makes his covenant known to them.
My eyes are ever towards the Lord,
   for he will pluck my feet out of the net.

Turn to me and be gracious to me,
   for I am lonely and afflicted.
Relieve the troubles of my heart,
   and bring me* out of my distress.
Consider my affliction and my trouble,
   and forgive all my sins.

Consider how many are my foes,
   and with what violent hatred they hate me.
O guard my life, and deliver me;
   do not let me be put to shame, for I take refuge in you.
May integrity and uprightness preserve me,
   for I wait for you.

Redeem Israel, O God,
   out of all its troubles. Psalm 25


Dear Aunt Elizabeth,

Well, things have continued to be troubling and Momma is particularly worried these days. Every free moment she has, she spends in sewing things for the baby. Momma has made a small doll and many items of
tiny clothing. She is also making some traveling clothing for me. A 
heavy cloak to cover me as we travel and comfortable items for after delivery.She seems to have tears in her eyes all the time. Joseph and
my Poppa pour over maps and make an itinerary for us to go by. We 
must avoid the main roads, they say, for two reasons. One, the crowds going to register for the taxes will be too great. Second is that they
 are very concerned that men from our village might follow us and 
try to hurt me. We will be doing most of our traveling by night! I 
thought things might get tough, but I never ever expected anything 
like this! The good news is that we have relatives along the way who
 will hide us during the day. I am afraid this trip will be very long and very slow. I do hope I make it back before I have to deliver, but
 Momma doesn't think so. Her tears make me so afraid!

Joseph spends most of his time, when he isn't working, here with 
us. We are trying hard to learn to be a couple. We were almost 
strangers when we hastily were married. He is quite shy and a very gentle man. He never raises his voice to me and loves to laugh 
and sing. I am hopeful that we will be a good, strong couple. We 
will need to be for all God has place on our shoulders! This is not 
normal, nor will it ever be, I imagine. This responsibility will take
all of our strength and patience to see this child brought to the 
world! 

As always, I covet your prayers. And as always, I am praying for 
you, Auntie!

Much love,

Mary








No comments: