Wednesday, December 19, 2018

In The Wilderness - Mary Letter Day 18



The beginning of the good news of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.

As it is written in the prophet Isaiah,

“See, I am sending my messenger ahead of you, who will prepare your way; the voice of one crying out in the wilderness: ‘Prepare the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.'”

John the baptizer appeared in the wilderness, proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. And people from the whole Judean countryside and all the people of Jerusalem were going out to him, and were baptized by him in the river Jordan, confessing their sins. Now John was clothed with camel’s hair, with a leather belt around his waist, and he ate locusts and wild honey. He proclaimed, “The one who is more powerful than I is coming after me; I am not worthy to stoop down and untie the thong of his sandals. I have baptized you with water; but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.” Mark 1:1-8 
Dear Elizabeth,
We have been living rough, avoiding major roads and keeping out of sight in daylight. So far, we have been left alone. We are not making much forward progress and the going is very slow. We did find a stream today, to cool our feet and to water the animal. We tried to wash ourselves a bit but the water was pretty muddy, so we look less clean than when we started washing. Sleeping outside at night has been quite an adventure! The cool night air does my body good, but the strange night sounds do not help me to fall asleep. Joseph builds a fire every night so that we can cook and tells me that it will keep animals away. I don't find much comfort in that.
Auntie, I have had some pains that seem like birthing might be coming sooner than I want. I can't tell Joseph, as he is already shouldering a great burden with me and my circumstances. I have been massaging my great belly, as you suggested, and apply the aloe and cream at night that you gave me. During our travels, I  can walk and ride only a little while at a time. Joseph has been extremely patient with me. We both want to get this over with, and it seems to be taking forever to get to the registry. The good news is that we don't seemed to have been followed. Hopefully they have given up wanting to hurt and harass us.
I try to be a brave as I can be, but sometimes, especially when I wake up at night in the wilderness, as the noises surround me, I can't hold back the tears. I check to make sure Joseph is sound asleep and let the tears roll on down. We have been given a wonderful and terrifying responsibility. There is no guide to follow for this new life God is bringing into the world. So I lay there, eyes swollen with tears, and pray until sleep captures me again.
much love,
Mary


No comments: