Thursday, December 6, 2018

Tested - Mary Letter Day 5


Some Sadducees, those who say there is no resurrection, came to Jesus and asked him a question, “Teacher, Moses wrote for us that if a man’s brother dies, leaving a wife but no children, the man shall marry the widow and raise up children for his brother. Now there were seven brothers; the first married, and died childless; then the second and the third married her, and so in the same way all seven died childless. Finally the woman also died. In the resurrection, therefore, whose wife will the woman be? For the seven had married her.” Jesus said to them, “Those who belong to this age marry and are given in marriage; but those who are considered worthy of a place in that age and in the resurrection from the dead neither marry nor are given in marriage. Indeed they cannot die anymore, because they are like angels and are children of God, being children of the resurrection. And the fact that the dead are raised Moses himself showed, in the story about the bush, where he speaks of the Lord as the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. Now he is God not of the dead, but of the living; for to him all of them are alive.”
Then some of the scribes answered, “Teacher, you have spoken well.” For they no longer dared to ask him another question. Luke 20:27-40 
Dear Auntie Elizabeth,
It was so wonderful to spend time with you and to be surrounded by your nurture and laughter. I am so grateful for our time together and I know it will keep me in the days ahead. I can still hear your voice humming as we worked together and your laughter like music as we sat together at table. Thank you.
When I arrived home, my family was shocked to see how big I had grown! I guess they forgot what it would look like! Joseph and Poppa quickly made arrangements for a private wedding ceremony. They were worried what the community might say or do. The Rabbi came and we had the ritual right in our house, with no friends or relatives, no party and no big meal. Momma did make some lovely honey cakes and we tried to celebrate but I felt like crying the whole time. I think my parents really don't believe me. And Joseph, well, he is completely awkward around me, and is clueless as to what to say or do. He went back to his home afterwards! The Rabbi has suggested that we keep all of this quiet, as if this huge body can be hidden. I feel tested and punished for being a servant of the Most High!
Auntie, you know how people are and how scared people are of visions and faithfulness. I trust that you understand the trials and challenges of these days. I am comforted knowing that you are praying for me throughout this. Momma and Poppa are doing their best, as is Joseph. I think I'll be crying myself to sleep many nights before this child arrives. I will take comfort in knowing I am not alone with your love and support.
All my love,
Mary


No comments: