Saturday, December 29, 2018

God's Word - Mary letter Day 28

First Sunday After Christmas


In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He
 was in the beginning with God. All things came into being through him, and without him 
not one thing came into being. What has come into being in him was life, and the life was 
the light of all people. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overcome it.
There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. He came as a witness to testify to
 the light, so that all might believe through him. He himself was not the light, but he came
 to testify to the light. The true light, which enlightens everyone, was coming into the world.
He was in the world, and the world came into being through him; yet the world did not know
 him. He came to what was his own, and his own people did not accept him. But to all who
 received him, who believed in his name, he gave power to become children of God, who 
were born, not of blood or of the will of the flesh or of the will of man, but of God.
And the Word became flesh and lived among us, and we have seen his glory, the glory as
 of a father's only son, full of grace and truth. (John testified to him and cried out, "This was 
he of whom I said, 'He who comes after me ranks ahead of me because he was before me.'")
 From his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace. The law indeed was given 
through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. No one has ever seen God. 
It is God the only Son, who is close to the Father's heart, who has made him known.
 John 1:1-18

Dear Aunt Elizabeth,

yesterday I stayed away form food and folks, as I wasn't feeling very well. I was terribly sick
to my stomach and was worried the baby would be sick as well. He seems very robust and
growing every day. Joseph was so worried that he sent for the women who attended my birth.
They came and looked me over and said I would be fine, but I needed to rest more, and drink
plenty of fresh water. Learning how to be a good mother and provide enough milk for a
hungry baby is very taxing. They kept all the visitors away, and would let no one come by
when the star appeared again at night. They even watched they baby so I could sleep as
much as possible. They are now watching me like hawks! I do feel a lot better, and know I
have to take care of myself so I can take care of him.

Joseph has been reading to me from the scriptures, as I cannot yet leave this confinement.
I am hearing ancient words come to life, promises of the Holy One, who knew that this
time would need a Savior. Somehow, so many things make more sense to me. And some
things, are more confusing than ever. I wish I could understand what is ahead for us. The
initial fears about being found out by the authorities are past. But there is a good deal to
worry about still. The occupiers are quite violent with our people, and ridicule our ways.
Joseph has been very careful with our money, and is finding some carpentry work to help
since we will be here longer than expected. He is trying to be positive and encouraging in
everything, yet I know he worries like I do. This is not home for us. And we really have
no idea when we can return home.

I hope if we cannot come back home soon, we might stay with you and your family.
We would make ourselves useful, if it came to a long stay, if we cannot return home.
At this point, we have no idea what to expect!

Much love,

Mary

Collect - Almighty God, you have poured upon us the new light of your incarnate Word: 
Grant that this light, enkindled in our hearts, may shine forth in our lives; through Jesus 
Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God,
now and for ever. Amen.


No comments: