Friday, December 7, 2018

Hide Me - Mary Letter Day 6

Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry;
   give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit.
From you let my vindication come;
   let your eyes see the right.

If you try my heart, if you visit me by night,
   if you test me, you will find no wickedness in me;
   my mouth does not transgress.
As for what others do, by the word of your lips
   I have avoided the ways of the violent.
My steps have held fast to your paths;
   my feet have not slipped.

I call upon you, for you will answer me, O God;
   incline your ear to me, hear my words.
Wondrously show your steadfast love,
   O saviour of those who seek refuge
   from their adversaries at your right hand.

Guard me as the apple of the eye;
   hide me in the shadow of your wings,
from the wicked who despoil me,
   my deadly enemies who surround me.
They close their hearts to pity;
   with their mouths they speak arrogantly.
They track me down;* now they surround me;
   they set their eyes to cast me to the ground.
They are like a lion eager to tear,
   like a young lion lurking in ambush.

Rise up, O Lord, confront them, overthrow them!
   By your sword deliver my life from the wicked,
from mortals—by your hand, O Lord
   from mortals whose portion in life is in this world.
May their bellies be filled with what you have stored up for them;
   may their children have more than enough;
   may they leave something over to their little ones.

As for me, I shall behold your face in righteousness;
   when I awake I shall be satisfied, beholding your likeness. Psalm 17


Dear Aunt Mary,

I am sorry for not writing for awhile but things have gone from bad to worse here. Somehow people found out I was with child and folks are attacking us, saying horrible things to Momma and Poppa. Joseph has been harassed as well. Poppa and Joseph have been talking about a way to hide me, so that I can be safe. Why are people so horrible, Auntie? Last night someone even threw a rock through one of our windows! Can you believe it?

I try to stay inside, away from the public, but it has been so warm at night that I like to sit out in the garden behind the house. I can enjoy the cool breezes when the house is stifling. My body is warm all the time, so at least at night, I can cool down before going to bed. When I sit outside, I recite the psalms I learned by heart as a small child. They give me comfort. They surround me like a blanket - a cool blanket of course. I can sleep after time in the garden, saying my prayers and reciting holy words. The rest of my days are very hard and I am being treated like a sinner, a harlot even! Oh, Auntie, please pray for me and for us all. This holy burden is too hard. I don't know how to go forward.

Sending my love and prayers,

Mary


No comments: