Saturday, December 1, 2018

First Advent, Mary Letter Day 1

                     Sunday, December 2nd, 2018              First Sunday of Advent, Year C 





Jesus said, "There will be signs in the sun, the moon, and the stars,
 and on the earth distress among nations confused by the roaring
 of the sea and the waves. People will faint from fear and foreboding
 of what is coming upon the world, for the powers of the heavens will be 
shaken. Then they will see 'the Son of Man coming in a cloud' with power and
 great glory. Now when these things begin to take  place, stand up and raise 
your heads, because your redemption is drawing near."

Then he told them a parable: "Look at the fig tree and all the trees; as soon as
 they sprout leaves  you can see for yourselves and know that summer is already 
near. So also, when you see these things taking place, you know that the kingdom
 of God is near. Truly I tell you, this generation will not pass away until all things
 have taken place. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not 
pass away.

"Be on guard so that your hearts are not weighed down with dissipation and 
drunkenness and  the worries of this life, and that day catch you unexpectedly,
 like a trap. For it will come upon all who live on the face of the whole earth. 
Be alert at all times, praying that you may have the strength to escape all these
 things that will take place, and to stand before the Son of Man." 
Luke 21:25-36

Dear Aunt Elizabeth,

I don't know who to talk to so I am writing you. You are wise and patient
, and you have been judged  cruelly and ridiculed. I am in a bad way and I
know you would understand. Momma and Poppa are beyond upset with me.
 I am betrothed to Joseph, who is kind and gentle, although much older than
I am, so I cannot talk to him. I have had some overwhelming dreams, dreams
of an angel visit. This angel seemed so real and his voice was so powerful. His
eyes shone with promise and hope, and he told me I was to bear the Savior of
the world. I woke and thought it was an amazing dream but kept silent because
 my parents would think I am arrogant and crazy.

Auntie, now I have missed my cycle and am feeling very sick. The other girls
who are married have told me that is how you know a child is within you. I have
 not been with Joseph! I am still a virgin and still without knowledge and skill of
marital relations. I haven't even spoken with Joseph yet because he has been away 
from the village visiting his family. Momma and Poppa have talked about sending
 me away before he returns home and finds out! I have no idea what to do, Auntie! 
Please pray that I am strong enough to carry this burden, that I can do what is right
and that I can be brave, although I am truly terrified.  I always wanted to be a servant
 of our God but I don't want this scary responsibility! Please tell me what to do!

Sending you love, always,

Mary



Collect


Almighty God, give us grace to cast away the works of darkness, and put on the armor
 of light, now in the time of this mortal life in which your Son Jesus Christ came to visit
 us in great humility; that in the last day, when he shall come again in his glorious majesty
 to judge both the living and the dead, we may rise to the life immortal; through him who 
lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

No comments: