Monday, December 3, 2018

My Shield - Mary Letter #2




LORD, how many adversaries I have! how many there are who rise up against me? 
How many there are who say of me, “There is no help for you in your God.” 
 But you, O LORD, are a shield about me; you are my glory, the one who lifts up my head.
 I call aloud to you, O LORD, and you answer me from your holy hill;  I lie down and go to sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me. 
I do not fear the multitudes of people who set themselves against me all around.
 Rise up, O LORD; set me free, O my God; surely, you will strike all my enemies across the face, you will break the teeth of the wicked.
 Deliverance belongs to the LORD. Your blessing be upon your people! Psalm 3
Dear Auntie,
I am in real trouble. Momma and Poppa are besides themselves. They are sure I have done something wrong because I cannot be with child without knowing a man. But I know I have done nothing wrong and want to be a good and faithful woman. The call me to the table to try to get the truth out of me. The truth has been said, over and over but they refuse to believe. 
Momma has made it very clear that I am not to leave the house when I begin to show. I have been trying to get out as much as possible these days. No one else suspects that I am expecting, so I walk and sit in the shade when ever possible. This morning I wandered down to the stream and walked into the water. It felt so cool on my legs that I wanted to put my whole body in. I ached for the baptism, the immersion in the fullness of God. I ached to be surrounded, comforted and cooled by living water. For a moment, just a moment, I could sense the water shielding me from the anger and hurt that I have been feeling these past few days.
I will write to you as often as I can, every day if possible. Maybe you too can write to Momma and Poppa. They might listen to you.
Sending much love,
Mary

No comments: