Monday, December 31, 2018

Light - Mary Letter Day 29



Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life.” Then the Pharisees said to him, “You are testifying on your own behalf; your testimony is not valid.” Jesus answered, “Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid because I know where I have come from and where I am going, but you do not know where I come from or where I am going. You judge by human standards; I judge no one. Yet even if I do judge, my judgment is valid; for it is not I alone who judge, but I and the Father who sent me. In your law it is written that the testimony of two witnesses is valid. I testify on my own behalf, and the Father who sent me testifies on my behalf.” Then they said to him, “Where is your Father?” Jesus answered, “You know neither me nor my Father. If you knew me, you would know my Father also.” John 8:12-19 

Dear Aunt Elizabeth,

The light has changed everything. People keep coming by night, strangers who want to understand this sign, this amazing star in the sky. They come with hope and gifts. They want a new world, new possibilities, and a new life in the midst of such traumatic times. Somehow, we host folks at night, although our guardian women are very particular as to who they let see our child. When the world turns, when people suspect that God is doing a new thing, they just need to draw near.

We have been talking, Joseph and I, about how this child changes everything. I guess all new parents feel this way. We are not who we used to be, at all! We are totally responsible for a very tiny, vulnerable human being. And our little one is a promise from God, the incarnate hope of the world! We have to reorder our thinking and our way of being. I'm not complaining. It's wonderful and he's wonderful. But it is as if I have a new skin to get used to, a new name to adjust to, a new world that does not resemble our former world. Our home is far away and yet somehow, we are right here at home, the three of us. 

Praying for you and aching to hear how your life is these days. We got a brief note from Poppa and they are very happy for us, but missing us terribly!

love,

Mary

No comments: