Sunday, December 5, 2021

God of the Living - Mary Letter Day 8


The same day some Sadducees came to him, saying there is no resurrection; and they asked him a question, saying, ‘Teacher, Moses said, “If a man dies childless, his brother shall marry the widow, and raise up children for his brother.” Now there were seven brothers among us; the first married, and died childless, leaving the widow to his brother. The second did the same, so also the third, down to the seventh. Last of all, the woman herself died. In the resurrection, then, whose wife of the seven will she be? For all of them had married her.’ Jesus answered them, ‘You are wrong, because you know neither the scriptures nor the power of God. For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven. And as for the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was said to you by God, “I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob”? He is God not of the dead, but of the living.’ And when the crowd heard it, they were astounded at his teaching. Matthew 22:23-33

Dear Elizabeth,

These past few days have been very hard, Auntie. Men in our village came to the door a few nights ago. The men represented the leaders of the Synagogue. Papa did not let them come in and Mama and I hid in the kitchen with the candles doused and the doors locked. We tried to listen but we didn't hear the whole conversation. It got so loud and we were very frightened. When they finally left, Papa came in looking so pale and hurt. The men were demanding that both Joseph and I be brought before the council and face our punishment. Papa said he stood his ground, and told them to go away. Papa was shook up and sent word to Joseph. That night they had a long conversation, and are making private plans for our wedding and getting us away from the village. It's been such a helpless feeling!

Mama has been crying so much since that evening. She doesn't want me to leave and wants around when the baby is born. I overheard she and Papa arguing, and it broke my heart. He is trying to protect me, she is trying to protect me, and they are clashing over the best ways to do this. I feel like a horrible burden to them. And I do not want to have to leave my home when I'm in such a vulnerable place. Joseph has been so good at listening and he doesn't seem upset when my tears start to flow.

Oh, Elizabeth, some days this burden, this call from God, is too hard for me to bear. I am growing big and unwieldy. That's hard enough to deal with. Pray for us, we need everyone's prayers.

Much love,


Mary




No comments: