Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Testing - Mary Letter Day 9



When the Pharisees heard that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together, and one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question to test him. “Teacher, which commandment in the law is the greatest?” He said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the greatest and first commandment. And a second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.” Now while the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them this question: “What do you think of the Messiah? Whose son is he?” They said to him, “The son of David.” He said to them, “How is it then that David by the Spirit calls him Lord, saying, ‘The Lord said to my Lord, “Sit at my right hand, until I put your enemies under your feet”‘? If David thus calls him Lord, how can he be his son?” No one was able to give him an answer, nor from that day did anyone dare to ask him any more questions. Matthew 22:34-46 




Dear Elizabeth,

This week has been one of great testing of my body and my spirit. While Mama and I have been sewing like crazy, both baby things and a simple dress for the wedding, the men have been making plans and not sharing their conversations. I know they are trying to protect Mama and me but it is infuriating. We have major roles to play yet we are silent in facing our futures.

Joseph received word that the census  administrators demand that he return to Bethlehem. He protested that he had lived here most of his life, but they were unmoved. On top of everything else, he will have to journey away from here to go to the city. He has told me privately that he will not go until we are married and he can take me with him. He thinks it will get me away from the critical people here. Papa wants him to go right away and to hold the wedding up until his return. I'm not happy with either scenario, but I don't think they'll listen to me.

On top of it all, Mama has sent for the wise women from another village to come and examine me. We cannot let any of the local women into our house for fear they would do something awful. So they women will arrive tomorrow or the next day and look me over and make sure the baby is healthy. I am not ready for that! Their hands touching me and examining my nether region. Ugh! Another test. I pray all the time for God to make me strong enough to face what is before me. Every day seems to bring another challenge. Please pray that I am strong enough.

Much love,


Mary

No comments: