Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Humble - Mary Letter Day 10




Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples, ‘The scribes and the Pharisees sit on Moses’ seat; therefore, do whatever they teach you and follow it; but do not do as they do, for they do not practice what they teach. They tie up heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on the shoulders of others; but they themselves are unwilling to lift a finger to move them. They do all their deeds to be seen by others; for they make their phylacteries broad and their fringes long. They love to have the place of honor at banquets and the best seats in the synagogues, and to be greeted with respect in the market-places, and to have people call them rabbi. But you are not to be called rabbi, for you have one teacher, and you are all students. And call no one your father on earth, for you have one Father—the one in heaven. Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one instructor, the Messiah. The greatest among you will be your servant. All who exalt themselves will be humbled, and all who humble themselves will be exalted. Matthew 23:1-12


Dear Elizabeth,

The only source of comfort I have these days is prayer. I try to slip out into the garden after dark, or very early in the morning, and speak my heart to God. I can feel that the Lord is listening, standing beside me, holding me up in the face of all these challenges. 

One of my girl friends stopped by last night. i thought she was coming to support me but instead shared all the nasty gossip and told me what she thought of me. It was so ugly. I held back my tears until she left. Then I rushed out into the garden weeping and praying. At the end I wrote this prayer which I am committed to praying every day. I hope you will pray it with me. You have been so strong for me, so loving and kind. Thank you for the unconditional love you have shown me. There's not much of that here right now.

Loving Creator, draw near to your daughter
I am committed to following your ways
to be humble, loving and forgiving always
and yet it is so very hard these days and in this place.

My tears come quickly and unwelcomed
the stings and criticisms are everywhere
my body tells a story of shame and sin
yet you have called me and honored me.

You promised that I would bear the Savior
that I would be the carrier of your love 
you gave me this life to nurture and tend
and I have promised to say yes to you always.

Lord, Help me to be humble in these times
wipe away my anger and help me to forgive
let me be your servant when others misunderstand
and help me to bring your love to the world. Amen.

love,

Mary







No comments: