Wednesday, December 15, 2021

The Lord Stands Fast - Mary Day 17

  Rejoice in the Lord, you righteous; * 
it is good for the just to sing praises. 
2 Praise the Lord with the harp; * 
play to him upon the psaltery and lyre. 
 3 Sing for him a new song; * 
sound a fanfare with all 
your skill upon the trumpet. 
 4 For the word of the Lord is right, * 
and all his works are sure. 
5 He loves righteousness 
and justice; * 
the loving-kindness of the Lord 
fills the whole earth. 
 6 By the word of the Lord 
were the heavens made, * 
by the breath of his mouth 
all the heavenly hosts. 
7 He gathers up the waters 
of the ocean as in a water-skin * 
and stores up the depths of the sea. 
8 Let all the earth fear the Lord; *
let all who dwell in the world 
stand in awe of him. 
 9 For he spoke, and it came to pass; * 
he commanded, and it stood fast. 
 10 The Lord brings the will 
of the nations to naught; * 
he thwarts the designs of the peoples. 
 11 But the Lord's will stands fast for ever, * 
and the designs of his heart from age to age. 
 12 Happy is the nation whose God is the Lord! * 
happy the people he has chosen to be his own! 
 13 The Lord looks down from heaven, * 
and beholds all the people in the world. 
 14 From where he sits enthroned 
he turns his gaze * 
on all who dwell on the earth. 
 15 He fashions all the hearts of them * 
and understands all their works. 
 16 There is no king that can be 
saved by a mighty army; * 
a strong man is not delivered 
by his great strength. 
 17 The horse is a vain hope for deliverance; * 
for all its strength it cannot save. 
 18 Behold, the eye of the Lord 
is upon those who fear him, * 
on those who wait upon his love, 
19 To pluck their lives from death, * 
and to feed them in time of famine. 
 20 Our soul waits for the Lord; * 
he is our help and our shield. 
21 Indeed, our heart rejoices in him, * 
for in his holy Name we put our trust. 
 22 Let your loving-kindness, 
O Lord, be upon us, * 
as we have put our trust in you. Psalm 33 

Dear Elizabeth,

This is my last letter to you for some time. We leave tonight once it is dark and will go a few miles to stay with a distant cousin of Joseph. She is quite elderly but Joseph says she has been kind to him all of his life and she has a big house. I hope she likes me. Some older women are very protective of their sons and nephews and very judgmental of the women they marry. As I write, Papa and Joseph are packing the last items and Mama is making us an early dinner. Elizabeth, I am so scared. I have never been away from home without Mama and Papa. And I am so close to delivering this child.

The wise woman came last night and examine me early this morning. Mama was with me and held my hand. I was still so nervous, that Mama taught me to breath until I calmed down. And then she whispered some psalms as the examination went forward. I was able to join her in the words and it did help me be somewhat calmer. The wise woman did say that I was only a few weeks away from delivery and that the baby was a good size and very healthy. That made me cry - I am so happy and so terrified at the same time. I so want to be back here with Mama when I give birth. I hope our trip to Bethlehem goes as planned and we can rush back before labor begins. I need Mama to breathe with me. I need her now more than ever. Pray for us, that the trip is quick and we can return home in time.

Love,

Mary

No comments: