Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Needing Rescue - Mary Letter Day 4


Thus says the LORD: As the shepherd rescues from the mouth of the lion two legs, or a piece of an ear, so shall the people of Israel who live in Samaria be rescued, with the corner of a couch and part of a bed. Hear, and testify against the house of Jacob, says the Lord GOD, the God of hosts: On the day I punish Israel for its transgressions, I will punish the altars of Bethel, and the horns of the altar shall be cut off and fall to the ground. I will tear down the winter house as well as the summer house; and the houses of ivory shall perish, and the great houses shall come to an end, says the LORD. Hear this word, you cows of Bashan who are on Mount Samaria, who oppress the poor, who crush the needy, who say to their husbands, “Bring something to drink!” The Lord GOD has sworn by his holiness: The time is surely coming upon you, when they shall take you away with hooks, even the last of you with fishhooks. Through breaches in the wall you shall leave, each one straight ahead; and you shall be flung out into Harmon, says the LORD. Come to Bethel—and transgress; to Gilgal—and multiply transgression; bring your sacrifices every morning, your tithes every three days; bring a thank-offering of leavened bread, and proclaim freewill offerings, publish them; for so you love to do, O people of Israel! says the Lord GOD. Amos 3:12—4:5

Dear Elizabeth,

I don't believe this is happening! My dreams have been so vivid and I have been feeling so poorly and yesterday everything got worse! Joseph arrived at our house at sunset, later than he ever comes to visit. He asked my father if we could talk privately, so we went out into the garden. Joseph told me he had been worried about me and how I had been sick lately. Some of the young men teased him and told him I was probably pregnant. Joseph has been worried and his words came out haltingly. He thought if I was, and I had been with another man, he couldn't very well marry me, I tried not to cry but the tears flowed down my cheeks like waterfalls. He then said that he had a dream, a very powerful one. An angel told him in no uncertain terms that he should marry me, since this child was a gift of God to the whole world. I didn't know what to say! He held me for a time and then we made a plan.

Elizabeth,  we decided that I am coming to you for a visit as soon as possible. You can help me make sure that I am indeed pregnant. And you can, if you would help me convince Mama and Papa that this is a good thing. They are in awe of your news, saying over and over again that this is a miracle. So maybe they can see this as a miracle too?? I am so scared, so excited and so sick these days. Joseph is making arrangements to visit his cousin who is a rabbi and get his advice as well.

Please don't tell anyone about me. Let's just make it a normal kind of visit, something I did on a whim, wanting to see you in this truly amazing condition!

love,

Mary

No comments: