Friday, December 10, 2021

God's Promise -Mary Letter Day 12


Seek the Lord while he wills to be found; * 
call upon him when he draws near. 
Let the wicked forsake their ways * 
and the evil ones their thoughts; 
And let them turn to the Lord, 
and he will have compassion, * 
and to our God, for he will richly pardon. 
For my thoughts are not your thoughts, * 
nor your ways my ways, says the Lord. 
For as the heavens are higher than the earth, * 
so are my ways higher than your ways, 
and my thoughts than your thoughts. 
For as rain and snow fall from the heavens * 
and return not again, but water the earth, 
Bringing forth life and giving growth, * 
seed for sowing and bread for eating, 
So is my word that goes forth from my mouth; * 
it will not return to me empty; 
But it will accomplish that which I have purposed, * 
and prosper in that for which I sent it. Isaiah 55:6-11



Dear Auntie,

Well, tomorrow is our wedding day, although there will be no celebration or anything. Mama is making special food for our small family, but that is all. I imagined it very differently. I know that I am being foolish, but I did imagine my friends surrounding me, and musicians and dancing. Now there will be none of that, just us and as quiet as humanly possible. We have had a few incidents and threats and Papa is keeping me housebound for my safety. 

Yesterday, Miriam, a distant relative came for a visit. I didn't realize at first why she was here. Miriam is very old, and has spent her life tending to pregnant women. She has delivered hundreds of babies I am told. Mama wanted her to examine me and examine me she did! I was so embarrassed! Yet, Miriam was so gentle and soft spoken. She didn't treat me like I was a fool, but rather explained everything she was doing. She also listened to my story and was delighted. She is one of the first people to really believe. Me. Afterwards, she showed me how to care for my belly, how to rub my skin with healing oils and how to care for myself after the birth. At first, I was terrified, but afterwards, I was truly grateful. As awkward as it was, I felt I now have some idea what is before me. I am not sure I am ready for it, but I think I know what to expect, at least.

God called me and made and promise to me, Elizabeth. Despite the times I get discouraged and the tears flow, I know that God is with us. I can feel it. And Joseph has proven to be a steady, faithful partner. He is scared, like me, and yet want to do God's will. Pray for us as we are married tomorrow!

love,

Mary

No comments: