Thursday, December 2, 2021

Returning - Mary Letter Day 5


I gave you cleanness of teeth in all your cities, and lack of bread in all your places, yet you did not return to me, says the LORD. And I also withheld the rain from you when there were still three months to the harvest; I would send rain on one city, and send no rain on another city; one field would be rained upon, and the field on which it did not rain withered; so two or three towns wandered to one town to drink water, and were not satisfied; yet you did not return to me, says the LORD. I struck you with blight and mildew; I laid waste your gardens and your vineyards; the locust devoured your fig trees and your olive trees; yet you did not return to me, says the LORD. I sent among you a pestilence after the manner of Egypt; I killed your young men with the sword; I carried away your horses; and I made the stench of your camp go up into your nostrils; yet you did not return to me, says the LORD. I overthrew some of you, as when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah, and you were like a brand snatched from the fire; yet you did not return to me, says the LORD. Therefore thus I will do to you, O Israel; because I will do this to you, prepare to meet your God, O Israel! For lo, the one who forms the mountains, creates the wind, reveals his thoughts to mortals, makes the morning darkness, and treads on the heights of the earth— the LORD, the God of hosts, is his name! Amos 4:6-13

Dear Mama and Papa,

It has been a real blessing to be here with Elizabeth. She has been so kind and helpful and a real spiritual support. Her pregnancy is such a miracle, and her wise of an elder overlooks the swelling belly of a young bride. She has helped me with these early stages and helping me with dressing and preparation as well. She is so patient with my questions, my tears and all the myriad things I am afraid of. She has increased my faith!

I know you are very upset with me and I truly wish I was not such a problem to you. I can reassure you that this was not my doing. I admit I said yes to God. You have every right to be angry and reject me completely. It looks so bad and I am sorry if I have brought shame on our family. Although I have done nothing shameful, people will think what they want and say terrible things. Thank you for letting me come home, as I ache to be with you both. I have stayed too long away from you and from Joseph. We all have much to talk about when I return home this week. Elizabeth has sewn some things for the baby and has taught me how to do likewise, so I will be able to keep my hands and mind busy as we await this child. Please pray for me, for safety as I return home. Cousin Samuel is accompanying me and hopes to spend the night with us before he returns here. I am grateful to have such loving parents.

Love, 

Mary

No comments: