Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Mary Letter Day 10


When the Pharisees heard that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together, and one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question to test him. “Teacher, which commandment in the law is the greatest?” He said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the greatest and first commandment. And a second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.”
Now while the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them this question: “What do you think of the Messiah? Whose son is he?” They said to him, “The son of David.” He said to them, “How is it then that David by the Spirit calls him Lord, saying,
‘The Lord said to my Lord,
“Sit at my right hand,
until I put your enemies under your feet”‘?
If David thus calls him Lord, how can he be his son?” No one was able to give him an answer, nor from that day did anyone dare to ask him any more questions. Matthew 22:34-46 
Dear Auntie,
It was foggy last night and somehow seemed primed for trouble. Papa sat Joseph and me down and told us that the community is very upset with us and that we need to be careful. He suggested we might need to get away. The elders have gathered several times to consider how to punish us. I am now forbidden to walk outside alone and Joseph has to be really care, Papa said. I was in tears. Tears seem to come so easily these days. 
We had all gone to bed after Joseph had gone to his home. My heart was breaking for the trouble I have caused, and yet I know this is God's doing. I was saying my prayers in my room when rocks pelted the house. Papa told me to hide with Momma as he went outside. I was terrified. He came back inside quite quickly after having walked around our home, checking everywhere with a lit torch. He found rocks and a few rude notes, but saw no one. The notes were all the same, calling me a harlot and a condemned sinner. Things are not safe here anymore. Papa and Momma were really worried but they put on a good face and told me not to worry. 
Oh, Auntie, people can be so cruel, especially religious people. They judge without understanding, they say horrible things without any care. These are our neighbors, our friends. It is heartbreaking. I think today we will have another "discussion" when Joseph gets off work. Papa wants to put some plans into place. Oh, this is so hard. I will write and tell you what the men decide. I hope they won't make me leave home! I don't think I could do without Momma while having a baby. Please, pray for us.

Love always,
Mary
love a


No comments: