Saturday, December 21, 2019

Mary Letter Day 21


The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not be in want.
You make me lie down in green pastures and lead me beside still waters.
You revive my soul and guide me along right pathways for your Name’s sake.

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
You spread a table before me in the presence of those who trouble me; you have anointed my head with oil, and my cup is running over.
Surely your goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever. Psalm 23





Dear Aunt Elizabeth,

The travel yesterday was very hard. Papa and Joseph have sent us a round about way, so as to avoid anyone from home who might want to harm me. So, we went on foot through rough, hardscrabble mountain paths. I could not ride since falling off the donkey would have been both likely and dangerous. Oh, it was such a slow and torturous walk! I was so tired at one point I sat down on a rock and cried. Joseph sat next to me and held me. We sat there together, had some water and didn't say much. We talked about how we are doing God's work. We also said "why does it have to be so hard?" That made us both laugh for a bit.

When we continued on, slowly descending into a valley, we came across a flock of sheep in the twilight. Among the sheep herders was a beautiful little girl, with her little lamb. Her name was Rebecca, and she came right over to us. She surprised us by saying very loudly that everything was going to be fine. God is with us! Wow! When we were at out lowest, there was a reminder of God's love and presence, even there on the dry valley among grazing sheep.

The words to King David's song have been running around my head. "The lord is my shepherd, I shall not want."  We sang that by the fire tonight, over and over. We slept out under the stars, on the last night of autumn, knowing it would be colder from here on out. Although sleeping rough was new to me, I fell asleep easily and had the best rest ever, with Joseph by my side. Although my muscle ache from all the hard climb yesterday, I feel better than I have in a while. Please keep up the prayers!

love,

Mary

No comments: