Thursday, December 12, 2019

Mary Letter Day 12


I will sing to the Lord, for he is lofty and uplifted; the horse and its rider has he hurled into the sea.
The Lord is my strength and my refuge; the Lord has become my Savior.
This is my God and I will praise him, the God of my people and I will exalt him.
The Lord is a mighty warrior; Yahweh is his Name.
The chariots of Pharaoh and his army has he hurled into the sea;the finest of those who bear armor have been drowned in the Red Sea.
The fathomless deep has overwhelmed them; they sank into the depths like a stone.
Your right hand, O Lord, is glorious in might; your right hand, O Lord, has overthrown the enemy.
Who can be compared with you, O Lord, among the gods? who is like you, glorious in holiness,
awesome in renown, and worker of wonders? You stretched forth your right hand; the earth swallowed them up.
With your constant love you led the people you redeemed; with your might you brought them in safety to your holy dwelling.
You will bring them in and plant them on the mount of your possession, the resting-place you have made for yourself, O Lord, the sanctuary, O Lord, that your hand has established.
The Lord shall reign for ever and for ever.Exodus 15:1-6, 11-13, 17-18
Dear Auntie,
There was so much shouting last night! Early in the day the elders had called Papa to them. He came home shaken, hurt and angry. The proper response to my behavior is a stoning, they told him. Despite that. they said they would only be satisfied with my being banished form home. Oh, the creulty of the supposedly religious folks! They don't believe that God could ever speak to me, nor Joseph. They want to control what God does and who God speaks to! Can you believe it?
I was sent to my room after supper so that Papa and Joseph could make plans. Their raised voices made me cry. Look at all the trouble I have caused by saying yes to God! I laid down crying and fell asleep with angry shouts in my head. When I woke up this morning, the old hymn Horse and Rider was running through my mind. "With constant love you led your people" stuck with me. 
At breakfast, Papa told me that they had come up with a solution to the problem. Joseph has to go to Bethlehem for tax purposes, since his people are from there. I am to go with him! Momma was obviously upset by this, but said she agreed with the plan. There will be a exchange of vows between us soon, and then we will head out together. I'm scared! I've hardly been alone with Joseph, let alone traveling to the big city. 
Auntie, I keep singing the old songs, which somehow really do give me comfort. I learned that from you. I hope you all are healthy and enjoying that little boy. I miss you so!
love,
Mary


No comments: